Health and Safety
Creating a safe environment at Rutgers–New Brunswick is our top priority.
The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) helps creates a safe and secure environment and operates a fully staffed police headquarters—24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
For an Emergency (Police, Fire, Medical):
Dial 9-1-1 or "Call when you can...Text when you can't."
Emergency Numbers from a University Phone:
Obtain an outside line, then dial 9-1-1
For a Non-Emergency on Any Campus:
Call 732-932-7211, or press 2-7211 on any campus phone.
Alternatively, text RUNB to 69050 to reach RUPD for non-emergency concerns or to send requests for help.
Non-Emergency Phone Numbers
Designated police officers on each campus provide students with a familiar and reliable point of contact.
- Busch Campus: 732-445-6281
- College Avenue Campus: 732-932-1032
- Douglass Campus: 732-932-6789
- G. H. Cook Campus: 732-932-6789
- Livingston Campus: 732-932-1368
Always reach your destination safely: The Knight Mover Shuttle service and on-campus walking escorts provide extra security getting around campus after-hours.
Shuttle: 732-932-RIDE (7433) runs 3–6 a.m. Monday to Thursday during fall and spring semesters
Walking Buddy: 732-932-7211 or use a campus emergency phone, available 24/7
There are many easy ways for you to help keep our campus safe.
- Sign up for text alerts to receive emergency updates (NetID required).
- Stay alert and aware of people and your surroundings.
- Avoid alcohol/drugs: Persons under the influence are much more likely to become victims.
- Immediately notify Rutgers University Police of any suspicious person or activity.
- Know your route before you go, checking the online campus map.
- After dark, walk with others. Use well-lighted paths. Study with friends.
- Use university transportation and walking chaperone services. Never hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.
- Do not prop open any building doors.
- Keep your dorm door locked. Make sure first-floor windows, fire escape windows, and security screens are locked.
- Do not allow strangers into residence buildings.
- Do not leave property unattended.