Plot your course to a more affordable college degree
Higher Ed Access, Enhanced
The Scarlet Guarantee is a signature Rutgers–New Brunswick program designed to make college more accessible and affordable, offering a "last dollar" financial aid award that covers the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees.
Launching for Fall 2022, the Scarlet Guarantee program will provide financial support for first- and second-year undergraduate students. Together with the Garden State Guarantee, these programs provide a transformational opportunity for students that will bridge the gap of resources needed to start and finish their higher education.
With the Scarlet Guarantee and Garden State Guarantee programs, full-time New Jersey residents who have completed their FAFSA or NJAFAA will now have all four years of their tuition and mandatory fees covered depending on Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) for as long as these programs last. These programs are last-dollar financial aid awards that cover the entire net cost, after all other grants and scholarships have been applied.
The Scarlet Guarantee program consists of three funding tiers based on your family’s adjusted gross income (AGI) as reported on the FAFSA or NJAFAA:
Tier 1 (AGI $0 - $65,000)
- Students who meet the eligibility requirements shall pay $0 for tuition and mandatory fees, beginning with your first semester.
Tier 2 (AGI $65,001 - $80,000)
- Students who meet the eligibility requirements shall pay no more than $3,000 for tuition and mandatory fees, beginning with your first semester.
Tier 3 (AGI $80,001 - $100,000)
- Students who meet the eligibility requirements shall pay no more than $5,000 for tuition and mandatory fees, beginning with your first semester.
Eligibility for the Scarlet Guarantee is based on your family’s adjusted gross income (AGI) as reported on your FAFSA or NJAFAA and will be offered as part of your financial aid package. To participate, you must:
- Accept your offer of admission to Rutgers–New Brunswick by May 1, 2022
- Enroll in at least 12 credits per semester and work towards your first bachelor’s degree
- Meet the Rutgers Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards each semester
Q: What costs are covered by the Scarlet Guarantee?
A: The Scarlet Guarantee offers a "last dollar" financial aid award that covers the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees for your first and second year at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. Mandatory fees include:
- Student fee
- School fee
- Technology fee
Costs associated with room & board are not covered under this program.
Q: I am an admitted student to the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, which is a 6-year program. If I receive the Scarlet Guarantee now and later receive the Garden State Guarantee for years three and four, will I receive anything for years five and six?
A: No. The two programs combined only provide financial support for years one through four.
Q: How is the Scarlet Guarantee different from the Garden State Guarantee?
A: The Garden State Guarantee is designed to benefit third- and fourth-year students, and the Scarlet Guarantee serves as a pipeline for first- and second-year students, as well as enhancing benefits in years three and four (eight semesters total).
Q: Am I eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee?
A: To be eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Qualified first- and second-year undergraduate students must be admitted, enrolled, and matriculated at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. First-year students are defined as having earned 0-29 total accumulated credits, and second-year students are defined as having earned 30-59 total accumulated credits.
- Enrolled full-time in at least 12 credits per semester
- Legally qualify for in-state tuition, including NJ Dreamers
- Must be working towards your first Bachelor's degree
- Any program of study/coursework eligible for Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) is eligible for this program
- Students must complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA or NJAFAA by April 15 (the deadline for first-year students is September 15
- Students must meet Rutgers Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to qualify
Q: For how long am I eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee?
A: Students who satisfy all eligibility criteria may receive the Scarlet Guarantee up to the overall cap of four semesters.
Q: Where can I find my family’s adjusted gross income (AGI)?
A: Your family’s adjusted gross income (AGI) will be indicated on the tax documentation provided to complete your FAFSA or NJAFAA application. The AGI will also be reflected on your completed FAFSA or NJAFAA.
Q: I am enrolling as a first-year student, but I am not eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee at this time. Will I automatically qualify for year two if there is a change in my financial status that places my family’s AGI within the required range?
A: Yes. If you enroll out of high school but later qualify for year two based on a change in your family’s AGI, you will be eligible for year two and this change will be reflected in your financial aid package.
Q: Are transfer students eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee?
A: Transfer students are eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee, provided they transfer to Rutgers–New Brunswick as full-time students for their first and second years.
Q: Are graduate students eligible?
A: No. The Scarlet Guarantee program provides financial support for years one and two of a student’s first undergraduate degree only.
Q: Are Rutgers University–Newark and Rutgers University–Camden students eligible for the Scarlet Guarantee?
Q: Do I need to apply for the Scarlet Guarantee award?
A: You will automatically be considered for the Scarlet Guarantee when you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or, if you qualify as a NJ Dreamer, the NJ Alternative Financial Aid Application. The deadline* to apply for Academic Year 2022-23 is April 15, 2022.
*First-year students must complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA or NJAFAA by September 15.
Q: How do I let Rutgers know I’m interested in receiving the Scarlet Guarantee award?
A: Simply accept your offer of admission to a school of Rutgers–New Brunswick by May 1, 2022 through your Application Portal.
Q: Am I required to hold a certain GPA while enrolled at Rutgers in order to maintain the Scarlet Guarantee award?
A: Yes. All students must meet the Rutgers Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards each semester.
Q: How many credits should I take each semester while enrolled at Rutgers through the Scarlet Guarantee program?
A: You should take at least 15 credits per semester to ensure you complete 30 credits each academic year. You should also meet regularly with an academic advisor and track your progress towards your degree requirements using Degree Navigator.
Q: I have additional questions. Where should I go?
A: For additional information about the Scarlet Guarantee program, please contact the One Stop Student Services Center.