The artwork found on the College Avenue Campus preserves the presence of the university’s history in everyday student life. It also conveys the energy of life in New Brunswick, Rutgers’ home for more than 240 years. Download the PDF.
College Avenue Campus Sculpture Tour
Untitled (1993), Mary Miss
This prominent installation outside the entrance of Alexander Library is an untitled work by artist Mary Miss. This composition of various components—a set of stairs, chain-link fencing—is a nod to the history of New Brunswick that invites students into an area for contemplation.
Untitled (1974), George Kuehn
This concrete and steel abstract constructivist sculpture is the creation of George Kuehn, who is known for works “stacked and wedged together” that “set up an internal system of forces.” Situated outside Alexander Library, the work was donated to Rutgers by Gloria Erlich in 2011.
William the Silent (1928), Toon Dupuis
Radiating authority over Voorhees Mall, William the Silent, an iconic sculpture on the College Avenue Campus, celebrates this hero of the Netherlands and Rutgers’ Dutch colonial roots.
Mason Gross Memorial (1994), Thomas Jay Warren
In Side Out (1982), Buky Schwartz
Moved from in front of Voorhees Hall to a more central location on Voorhees Mall, In Side Out has been incorporated into the Class of 1942 World War II Memorial plaza. Philip and Muriel Berman donated the work to Rutgers.
Vietnam War Memorial (1993), R. Allan Christianson
Remembering 15 Rutgers alumni who died in the Vietnam War or are missing in action, the Vietnam War Memorial stands outside of Scott Hall. Three concrete steps flanked by two bold pedestals invite the passerby to step up and view projecting black granite rectangles. Here the viewer will find the names and class years of the15 United States soldiers, as well as a map of Vietnam etched into the stone.
Walking Man (1988), George Segal
First cast in 1988 by Rutgers graduate George Segal, this bronze sculpture can be found outsite the Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum. Walking Man is positioned in midstride, a pause that suggests reflection, indecision, or even regret in the midst of forward motion.
The Tuning Fork Oracle (1997), Alice Aycock
Tipsy and futuristic, The Tuning Fork Oracle complements the artistic atmosphere of the Civic Square Building on Livingston Avenue in downtown New Brunswick.
Inside Hippocrates (1994), George Greenamyer
Installed in 1994 in front of the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Clinical Academic Building, Inside Hippocrates features two-foot-tall figures arranged across a 35-foot I-beam represent clinical academic medicine engaged in an interactive narrative. At each end is smaller replica of the Hippocrates statue found on the Busch Campus.
Prayer Feather (2002), Edward M. Adams
At the entrance to the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Clinical Academic Building, this bronze sculpture is dedicated to the fallen victims of HIV/AIDS and to those who continue to fight the disease. Artist Edward Adams chose the feather form to refer back to Native American beliefs, where a feather is said to hold living energy and connect us with forces greater than ourselves.
Free Fall (2003), Elyn Zimmerman
A granite sculpture that includes a waterfall and garden, Free Fall was conceived by artist Elyn Zimmerman as a "nature-scape" patients at the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey could view from the waiting room.