Rutgers people across scores of disciplines engage in research that focuses on human health. Because we study, teach, and practice health care, the latest advances in health sciences education and discovery inform our care.
Health Sciences Research
Bench Side to Bedside
Health-sciences research activity at Rutgers University–New Brunswick is the largest and most comprehensive in New Jersey. In the life sciences alone, Rutgers expends more than $430 million annually in research and development. Our research spans the spectrum from “bench side" (laboratory) to "bedside" (direct care of people). Through research we
- uncover the core processes of health sciences and health care;
- test and develop original interventions for patient care;
- translate discoveries into innovations that advance health care and grow the economy;
- better understand relationships among basic science, patient care, and society;
- prepare future generations of scientists, practitioners, and policymakers.
Health Sciences Research in Action
From understanding the role of infinitesimal biologic structures in disease to caring for patients with today’s most forward-thinking treatments at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, Rutgers research has impact. Take a look at some standout examples below.
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowBasic Building Blocks
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowFrom Polymer to Replacement Tissue
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowZebrafish Aid Fight Against Cancer
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowHealth and Ground Zero Dust
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowA Better Bypass
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowRapid Test Detects Killer Fungus
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowPublic Policy and Health Care
- Research with Impact Now and TomorrowAn Advance in the Hepatitis C Battle
We welcome industry decision-makers to explore
- our cutting-edge research,
- opportunities for licensing,
- top-notch training,
- deep pool of well-educated talent, and
- myriad resources offered by a leading center of learning.
Find out how we can meet your needs via our Business Portal.
Centers and Institutes
Rutgers’ more than 300 centers and institutes, including those within Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, are encyclopedic in their coverage of human health. Here is a sampling of our internationally renowned centers:
- Brain Health Institute
- Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine
- Center for Integrative Proteomics Research
- Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience
- Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
- Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research
- Global Tuberculosis Institute
- New Jersey Center for Biomaterials
- New Jersey Institute for Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Protein Data Bank
- Public Health Research Institute
- RUCDR Infinite Biologics
- Waksman Institute of Microbiology
- W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience
Clinical trials are scientific research studies designed to find better ways to treat or prevent diseases. The Clinical Research Organization within Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences is the gateway to Rutgers’ statewide clinical trial activities. Dedicated to effective collaboration between industry, academia, and patients, the Clinical Research Organization makes connections in support of clinical trials.