The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is on the job 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to ensure a safe environment and prevent crime at Rutgers University–New Brunswick.
Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Delayed Opening - Level 1
In response to adverse weather conditions, President Barchi has declared a Level 1 - Delayed Opening for the entire university for Thursday, March 5, excluding RBHS clinical operations. All RBHS clinical operations will be open for normal business hours. The rest of the university will reopen at noon at all locations.
During the Delayed Opening:
1. All classes that are scheduled to begin before noon are cancelled.
2. Essential Service Employees are directed to remain at work or to report to work as scheduled during the period of this Level 1 Delayed Opening, unless otherwise directed.
3. Non-Essential Employees shall not report for work during the period of a Level 1 Delayed Opening. In addition, we recognize that weather conditions are different in different areas of the state. If employees desire to come into work after the university has reopened, or take the rest of the day off from work, they must receive approval from their immediate supervisor and charge appropriate accrued and available leave time for any work time missed.
Please refer to the following adverse weather policies for more details related to weather status declarations and procedures:
* Legacy Rutgers Employees: Attendance During Adverse Weather Conditions - Policy 60.3.16
* Legacy UMDNJ Employees: Inclement Weather and Emergency Curtailment of Operations - Policy 60.9.58
The university will provide updates as conditions warrant.
Visit the operating status page for more information.
For an Emergency (Police, Fire, Medical)
Emergency Numbers from a University Phone
Obtain an outside line, then dial 9-1-1
For a Nonemergency
732-932-7211 or 2-7111 from any campus phone
55 Commercial Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Crime Prevention and Response
Officers patrol by car, foot, bicycle, and horseback and more than 2,000 strategically located cameras monitor and record campus activity. Call the 24-hour communication and dispatch center at 9-1-1 for immediate action.
Community Police Officers
Designated officers on each campus provide students a familiar and trusted point of contact.
- Busch Campus: 732-445-6281
- College Avenue Campus: 732-932-1032
- Douglass Campus: 732-932-6789
- G. H. Cook Campus: 732-932-6789
- Livingston Campus: 732-932-1368
Full-time security officers monitor campus residential and parking areas.
Shuttle services and on-campus walking buddies provide extra security as students, faculty, and staff get to their destinations.
- Walking Buddy: 732-932-7211 or use a campus emergency phone
- Knight Mover Shuttle: 732-932-RIDE (7433)
Alerts and Notifications
RUPD works with neighboring police departments, local governments, the State of New Jersey, and the National Guard to better prepare the university for emergencies and disasters.
Campus Safety Tips
You can help keep our campuses safe.
- Stay alert and attuned to people and circumstances around you.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and other drugs. Persons under the influence are much more likely to be the victims of a serious crime.
- Immediately notify the Rutgers University Police Department of any person or activity that arouses your suspicion.
- Know your route before you go somewhere by checking the online campus map.
- Avoid isolation. After dark, walk with others. Use well-lighted paths. Study with friends.
- Use university transportation and walking chaperone services. Do not hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.
- Do not prop open any building doors.
- Keep the door to your dorm locked. Make sure first-floor windows, fire escape windows, and security screens are locked.
- Do not allow strangers into residence buildings.
- Do not leave property unattended or unprotected.