The history, the birthplace, the center, the insight, the diversity, the vigor, the heart. Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root nearly 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
About Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- 40,720 full- and part-time students
- 2,688 acres
- 18 schools and colleges
- Among the top 25 public universities, as ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Division I Athletics
- Big Ten Conference
Our amazing constellation of students, faculty, and staff—tens of thousands live, learn, and work at Rutgers—sends its high-flying energy and ideas crisscrossing five interconnected campus communities. And those same thousands find close-knit, meaningful niches that make a big state school manageable, accessible, and comfortable.
An Academic Powerhouse
Rutgers University–New Brunswick comprises:
- Schools and colleges in every field from business to engineering to medicine and public policy
- Scores of academic departments, research centers, health care facilities, and performance venues
- Hundreds of undergraduate majors and graduate programs
- Thousands of courses
- Tens of thousands of faculty, students, and staff with an incredible diversity of backgrounds, interests, and scholarship
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, aligned with Rutgers University–New Brunswick, creates a potent laboratory-to-bedside pipeline from research discovery to treatment innovation
National and international experts in their fields, our standout faculty are here to teach you, whether you’re an undergraduate taking a one-of-kind Byrne Seminar, a professional pursuing a master’s degree or health program to advance a career, or a graduate student on track to becoming a groundbreaking researcher.
Smart, well-prepared, and economically and ethnically diverse, our students come from across the nation. Down-to-earth and driven, they achieve both a level of academic scholarship and a mastery of practical skills, which earn them prestigious fellowships and the attention of top-company recruiters.
Location, Location, Location
Spanning New Brunswick, Piscataway, and adjacent towns in central New Jersey, Rutgers University–New Brunswick sits at the center of America’s northeast corridor, which runs from Boston to Washington, D.C.
With excellent air, rail, bus, and highway connections to all points, our prime location attracts talented scholars and students seeking access to world-class everything.